Tuesday, 17 April 2012

COTTAM COOTS - A PROGRESS REPORT

The pair of Coot that nested on the pond opposite the junior school have
three new arrivals from the clutch of 8 eggs.

One of the young being enticed from the nest to feed.

It's said that the white frontal plate on the adult's head is the reason for the phrase 'bald as a coot.'
Looking at the youngster, I'm not convinced it's the only reason.


A pleasant family photograph
and finally
three photographs to reflect on -



PS. Can somebody please explain to me what this is all about? It's close to the pond
in the previous photograph, off Greenside.
*
Posted by: Steve Halliwell

1 comment:

  1. once upon a time, I'll dig out my images, there was a metal (brass) sculpture of just that, two hounds and a wild boar – I was wondering how long they would last... are you sure they have gone... hidden at the back? 'cos if the metal thieves were having 'em, I'd have thought the metal plate/plaque would have gone as well.
    cheers
    g

    ReplyDelete