Saturday, 17 December 2011

2011 Moths

Having moved to Cottam at the end of August, there has only been a limited amount of time to devote to trapping moths.
*
However, for those who still think that all moths are small brown things that eat your clothes (incidentally 4 or 5 species out of a British moth fauna of 2,500 species will eat them) I offer you a few species that I've caught in my garden in the last month or two.
*
If anyone will allow their garden to be used for moth-trapping, please get in touch with me, and we'll make arrangements for next year. Email me at prestonbirder@aol.com
*
Angle Shades       Photo: Steve Halliwell
*
Angle Shades from a shade different angle! 
Photo: Steve Halliwell
*
Merveille de Jour        Photo: Steve Halliwell
Small and brown? - do me a favour!
*
 i.d. to be confirmed                 Photo: Steve Halliwell
*
Feathered Thorn (no guesses as to why it's called that!)
Photo: Steve Halliwell (Taken at Maxy House Farm in Cottam)
*
Brimstone Moth  - similar in colouration to the Brimstone Butterfly.
Photo: Steve Halliwell
*
Garden Carpet Moth           Photo: Steve Halliwell
*
Pyralis farinalis - Meal Moth
Photo: Steve Halliwell
*
Setaceous Hebrew Charachter  Photo: Steve Halliwell
*
More to follow soon.
*
Posted by: Steve Halliwell


2 comments:

  1. Let me be the first to welcome you to blogging.You are so right about Cottam there is so much wildlife about if people would only open there eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephen, If you need any help with any bat walks, just ask me

    ReplyDelete